14 days. That’s how long I’ve been doing the cleanse that my doctor has ordered. For those that have reached out, many have asked me how I’m surviving? And my answer is, hanging on by a thread.
The first 7 days were absolute torture. We already know it’s a bad idea to go to the market when you’re hungry. Try going to the market when you can’t have sugar, dairy or gluten in your diet. That is torture. I found myself going up and down the natural food aisles, reading the labels of everything, for about 90 minutes.
I walked out with literally the basics. And that is what I have been living on.
My morning routine consists of taking my probiotic (2x a day), AquaFlora High Potency Liquid, Grapefruit Seed Extract, and every once in a while an activated charcoal pill (depending upon how I feel that day).
And this is just the beginning. I keep saying to myself, “How am I going to do this for 6 weeks?” and that’s just to make it to my check-in point. They say it can take up to 3 months or more to be fully healed. I’m praying that it takes a little quicker for me.
If you ever have to go through this or you are going through this, here are a few things you should be prepared for:
- You will wake up drenched in sweat for the first week (at least mine was just the first week). This is your body detoxing the sugar and other toxins; and if you’re a woman, your hormones getting regulated.
- You will go through withdrawals. Going from having coffee with caramel and a little bit of sugar everyday to going cold turkey, was.not.fun. I got headaches, the shakes, and again at night woke up in sweats. I also know that sugar in it’s self was a withdrawal for me.
- You will feel like legit crap. There were days in the first week where I felt sick. Like flu sick. This is normal. It’s crazy to think that all of these toxins in your body make you feel like that. I was like “Get out of my body”.
- By week 2, you will all of a sudden feel great (especially compared to how you felt the past couple of days). You will find yourself having more energy. Not getting the mid-afternoon slump. And the craving of sugar starts to taper off.
- You will not sleep well the first week. I tossed and turned, woke up in the middle of the night and did not feel rested at all. But the more I read up on it and asked questions, I was told this is normal. I have to say, week 2 was much better. I am now back to sleeping better and waking up with more energy. (Plus I still faithfully use my essential oils every night )
These are just a few of things that you will/may experience. Stay tuned for more updates and recipes as I continue on this journey.
Remember, those of use living with candida are not alone. Reach out and talk to people going through this. And also surround yourself with a good support system.